Sunday, September 22, 2013

Mission Sunrise


oil 9x12 inches click for purchase information and zoom Last spring while visiting the Mission San Antonio de Padua I stood in this damp field early one morning and painted. I also took some great shots of the light just beginning to strike the buildings. I used one of those shots as my photo reference for this painting. I loved the light and shadow of course, but also how the dew on the grasses turned them a dusty blue green. In my photo of the painting the greens are soft like I painted them, but when I post it to Blogger they look yellow and garish. As usual, better in person.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely painting. I have heard somewhere that the best paintings are done with early morning light, or late in the day light. Atmosphere, I guess that's what it is all about and your painting has that.

    ReplyDelete

No word verification needed. :-)