Sunday, April 6, 2014

Warm Cliffs -sold


oil 9x12 magnify From my "paintcation" to Moro Campground, Crystal Cove last week. Standing on the edge of the bluff within the campground was this stunning view of next bluff to the south. Can't beat the views in Laguna Beach. And even on the last day in March I got a bit too warm! I could feel summer coming! I had a great time trying out manganese blue in sky and sea, a recent addition to my palette. It seemed to work well for that Laguna water.
In an effort to lighten my backpack, I ordered the James Coulter mini palette and did not put glass in it. Reduced my 23 lb. backpack down to 16 lb. I thought mixing the color right on the wood might bother me, but it was really no problem. I figured painters have been working on wooden palettes for hundreds of years. The smaller mixing space compared to my compact palette still worked fine. The fresh blobs of paint kinda soaked into the wood even after several coats of linseed oil, but after some layers of paint, I think it will be well seasoned. The palette fits right inside my Kelty Redwing 3100. Dare I say, I was a happy camper!

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Your ocean is so understated and perfect. I always marvel at how representational painters translate and transform what they see. Still such a challenge for me. Loved seeing your setup and progress with Qiang Haung and how you transformed reality into paint—it's a whole 'nother way of seeing and in many ways, magical and better than the real thing. I will keep working towards it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This painting just sparkles! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the nicest "coastal" paintings I've seen. Beautiful use of color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I envy your glamorous painting adventures, Karen! The painting is spectacular!! ...and it seems like you've got the whole packing/supplies thing down to a science. More please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful and I love those subtle blues and greens. A real wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is spectacular! Thanks for sharing - I felt like I was painting right along with you! Killer water, girl…..

    ReplyDelete

No word verification needed. :-)