Monday, October 13, 2014

Kim English Workshop "Figure In The Landscape" Review Part 2


On days three and four we went out to two different very old ranches nearby. The owners were very gracious and welcoming. I felt relieved knowing our "models" would not move in ten minutes! Kim did a couple of demonstrations then we had lots of time and lots of possible subjects. Still, the goal was to get the subject in quickly and simply. Above, Kim's pre-mixed palette. He uses some bold color. Above, Pam painting and my attempt to paint Pam painting! The light went in and with the clouds all morning, changing about every five minutes. I can't resist a truck. I really enjoyed painting this scene. May be a larger studio painting in the future. Above, Day 4. Thanks to Shar for this photo of me painting yet another truck. While I was out there, a rainstorm came over. Everybody packed up and headed inside a barn. The previous day I had packed up quick (and wiped off my painting) for a downpour that only lasted a few minutes. So I decided to ride this one out. If i'm warm enough the rain doesn't bother me, but the paint does get a little pasty with water mixed in. Feels like painting with frosting. Sure enough, I think the rain was done in about 20 minutes. Above, my last painting. Charlie, the ranch owner had taken me on a little tour inside his house to see his collection of folk art from around the world. He sat at his kitchen table listening to classical music, reading the newspaper and watching us through the windows. He showed me a long add-on room he called the greenhouse, where we were invited to paint inside. I noticed the red high chair, wood stove and window above with the light coming in. It was his great-granddaughter's high chair that he intends to fix up for her. I moved a few things around with his permission, and painted the scene. The clouds came over so I lost the light pattern, but I have a good photo for a studio painting later. As I finished, I decided I couldn't take a painting of Charlie's granddaughter's highchair home to California with me. He should have it. So I left it on his windowsill to dry, and told him it's a thank-you gift for welcoming us to his ranch. That felt like a really good way to end a workshop! I completed three studies that day, one of which is not worthy of posting. Kim challenged me to paint four, so I got close to the goal. SUMMARY AND ADVICE: I loved the workshop. Key word: WORK. Kim is great at individualized instruction. His sense of humor kept things from getting too intense. We painted from 9-4 every day with an hour break for lunch. If you are considering a workshop with Kim, here's my advice: Give yourself a lot of experience with your plein air equipment and your paints before you go. You'll get more out of it if those two things are very familiar to you. For oils, bring smooth painting surfaces to work on: smooth acrylic primed panels like Raymar, or Gessobord, or oil primed linen. If you bring "scratchy" canvas, you'll be fighting to get the paint on the surface, and fighting to wipe it off. There's no time for fighting with five minute poses. If the workshop includes figures, practice drawing small figures so you're familiar with basic proportions before you go. Kim's workshop was just what I needed. I recommend it! I hope this review has been helpful.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review. You had some beautiful scenery to paint. I really love your truck paintings. Great lines,shapes and colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. Those Colorado painters have a lot of material, that's for sure!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous Paintings Karen. All the best.
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful works. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, May. I really love sharing what I've learned. I hope it helps someone out there. We all learn from each other. That's one of the pleasures interacting with fellow artists whether it be in cyberspace or in person. See you soon!

      Delete
  4. I finally found your w shop day 3 and 4. Very helpful. Thanks for posting. I'm going to use acrylics. Do u feel that'll be a problem?

    ReplyDelete

No word verification needed. :-)