Thursday, December 15, 2011

Two Little Islands SOLD





















oil on canvas panel 8x8 inches
private collection Chattanooga, TN

From Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco you can see this tiny island, "Forbes Island", and the notorious Alcatraz in the distance. I don't know if Forbes is a real island, or if the little lighthouse is a real lighthouse, as both are so small. Anyway, the reflections on the very glassy bay water caught my eye. I painted this piece on a black gesso ground. As I experiement with this I really enjoy the texture that can be achieved and the bits of black peeking through as well. I submitted this to the current DPW challenge; reflections on water. To see the other entries click here.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful brushwork Karen, now I'm inspired to try my own reflection on water. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. I occasionally paint on black and find the colors dull down and absorb into the black. Let me know if this happens to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean, Karen. That didn't happen on this one, but it did on another one I'll post later. This one is on gesso over an old painting on Raymar panel. The other one is on a gessoed Gessobord. I'm wondering if varnish will bring it back to life?

    ReplyDelete

No word verification needed. :-)