Thursday, November 29, 2012

Abe

oil 10x10 inches not for sale Abraham Simpson is a hometown hero. He served his country as a Marine, and while doing so, died under enemy fire in Iraq, 2004. His mother, Maria chose the photograph I painted from. It's a great natural pose, and she especially liked that his hand is in the shot. I did too. It was my idea to paint him as a gift to his parents. I had no idea really, how emotional it would be for me. I hoped and prayed while painting that I'd be able to get his likeness but also his spirit for his parents. I thought about him in Iraq, and about him in Heaven. Maria came over yesterday to see it and really liked it. I made some minor changes today, and I'm satisfied that it's the best I can do.

12 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful portrait! I love his eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful Karen! I am sure Abraham's parents will cherish it.. The depth you captured in his eyes is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, when I first saw this painting, I was moved by those beautiful blue eyes. Then I came to your blog and read your story, which moved me to tears. What a beautiful gift for Abraham's parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautifully done and I'm sure it will be cherished. So sad to loose a young man... I can only imagine the range of emotion you must have felt while working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, when you showed me the photo of this painting on Wed. I was very taken by it. I couldn't get the image out of my mind. It is so very moving. You obviously painted "with intent", with purposes and with emotion as well as with your skill. It was a good lesson for me to be aware of the importance of our "intent" as artists. It is what breathes life into our painting. Thank you for sharing this.
    Mary Jo Werner

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone has the same idea. The eyes are fantastic. You are such a dear to do this painting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jo told me about this painting and the story behind it. I had to see it. Very powerful. You did an amazing job.
    Aleta Jacobson

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a gorgeous portrait Karen. No wonder this boys parents are pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This portrait is amazing. I remember taking the photo while he sat on the living room floor after opening all his Christmas presents in 2002. God made him so beautiful to me, and I remember thinking this would be a photo I would treasure for a lifetime, and it is.

    The likeness in the painting is striking, and maybe even more alive than the photo. Karen, you have captured everything beautiful that God put into my boy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful, I remember him in elementary school.

    ReplyDelete

No word verification needed. :-)