Monday, May 19, 2014

Orange & Blue, Palette Knifed


oil 6x8 inches magnify/purchase That space between the crock and the orange had been bugging me. For some time I'd wanted to try painting with a palette knife. So with a bit of time on my hands I took the dry painting just above and smeared the paint on. A lot like frosting a cake. Purely experimental. For some really great palette knife paintings, check out David Boyd Jr.'s work.
Here's a trick I've been using for a while. It enables me to paint right off the edges of my panel. I use several loops of wide painter's tape on the back of my panel to stick it onto a larger piece of MDF board from Home Depot. It stays on for painting, for carrying it around to photograph it, or laying it under a warm lamp to dry. Works for larger panels too. Just use more tape loops.
Here's my display at the Balboa Art Walk. What a blast! Twenty linear feet of space, perfect weather, a friendly crowd and great sales. Special thanks to the friends who visited and kind folks who purchased my work. Thanks for supporting my habit!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Karen, love your redo with palette knife. Your Balboa set-up looks fabulous and impressive. Wish I could have made it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful display of your work, Karen! Who could resist? I'm happy it was successful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonjour chère amie,

    Je suis toujours admirative devant un travail au couteau, moi qui travaille avec mes petites brosses en martre !... La lumière qui illumine ton travail est extraordinaire.
    Bravo !

    Oh ! J'aurais bien aimé pouvoir admirer cette exposition... et mes félicitations pour tes nombreuses ventes. Je suis certaine que tu as fait de très belles rencontres.

    Merci pour ce joli partage photographique et de nous communiquer cet astuce concernant ton panneau !

    Gros bisous ♡

    Ps : Pardonne-moi de te tutoyer mais je préfère ! Bisous encore !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think reworking "failed" paintings is a great way to learn. I probably have about 20 of them awaiting inspiration. I've incorporated palette knives into my painting on a regular basis. I'm comfortable with doing away with the brushes; I like using both. I always enjoy seeing your paintings, and reading about your experience as an artist, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your comments. I very much appreciate the feedback.

    ReplyDelete

No word verification needed. :-)