Thursday, April 12, 2018

As In A Mirror


oil 6x6 inches Purchase info here. Orange is such a luscious color! I have two openings left in my upcoming workshop, April 21 and 22 at my home studio in Upland, CA. Beginners and intermediate. Still life can be fresh and lively. Still life can teach you how to paint, improve your skills and prepare you to paint any subject. I'll show you how. You'll learn A LOT while having fun, coffee, laughs, and snacks. Find out more by emailing me at karenwernerart@gmail.com

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, and with such sparkle. "But one day, face to face."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen, your work is astounding! I've been studying your orange slices...may I ask how you mixed the orange colors with such luminosity and intensity? I spent an evening trying to duplicate it with many different reds and yellows and mine were all dull. How did you make the orange meat look backlit? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also when mixing a saturated color you need to make sure it is clean. Especially not the tiniest bit of white in it. And artist quality paint. Not student grade.

      Delete
  3. Hi Karen, thank you for your comment. For the luminous orange I mis Utrecht Cad Yellow light and Utrecht cad red light. But it probably has more to do with getting the value and temperature of the white in shadow correct. The cool dark “white” and the rind in shadow make the contrast needed to get that glow. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was thinking something like that, but it's easier said than done. I will keep practicing1

      Delete

No word verification needed. :-)