Thursday, January 29, 2015

Apple -an oil painitng plus value demos


These are some value studies I demonstrated for a student as a starting point to oil painting. I used a piece of Utrect canvas from a canvas pad 12x9 inches. (Nice stuff.) I taped it to a piece of MDF board (Home Depot) and divided it into quarters. I mixed just four values using Burnt Umber, Ultramarine Blue and T-White. (One of the values was pure white.) The set up has a clear division of light and shadow from a spotlight and having limited ambient light. If you're a beginner, I highly recommend doing a lot of these with simple objects. Avoid shiny objects, glass and flowers. When you look at your subject squint down A LOT while painting. It helps you see the large value shapes simplified. The bottom right quadrant shows how to draw an ellipse by picturing it inside a rectangle. It's not perfect, but close. (I wiped out the rectangle later.) Also pictured, different kind of stroke shapes made with a flat brush. I hope this is helpful to someone out there just starting out. The importance of getting your values right cannot be understated. I have read of art schools that require working in black and white for an entire year before painting with color.
Here is a little 4x6 I painted later just because I thought the set-up was so simple and pretty. It gave me a challenge! I have gotten used to larger sizes. It is for sale at $40. magnify/purchase SOLD

5 comments:

  1. Simple and pretty, yes.......simple to do, not so much! Another gem Karen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, you are so right. I hadn't painted apples for a while, and was surprised that it didn't just paint itself! What was I thinking???!!!

      Delete
  2. A very good post. You are dead on about the values having to be right. Love your apple.
    I enjoyed catching up on your blog. I was reading about your palette colors and saw you took from Kim English. I took anatomy from him for two years at the Art Students League in Denver in the late 80"s. A goup of us used to go plein air painting at weekends. He is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. What an opportunity you had to study under Kim! I learned so much from him in just a few days. He's really good at individualizing his instruction for what ever level you are at. One of the hallmarks of a great teacher in my opinion.

      Delete
  3. thanks , this was very interesting !

    ReplyDelete

No word verification needed. :-)