Monday, September 22, 2014

Jamie -an oil portrait, and...about drawing


oil 12x9 magnify The last painting from my painting frenzy day. Painted from the live model. For most of my figure painting I have used the Zorn palette: white, black, yellow ochre and cad red. I didn't have those with me, so I used my usual primaries: ultramarine blue, cad red light, cad yellow light and white. I was happy with my skin tones, but not with my drawing. Her features are a bit askew. I don't really enjoy drawing. Does anyone else feel like that or is it just me? I draw just enough to be able to paint an accurate painting. This time, not accurate enough! Time to work on that, I decided. So I ordered the book below from Amazon. Here's just one page of my sketchbook showing some of the exercises from the book.
Scott's book is for beginners and the experienced as well. In it he teaches basic principles useful for drawing any subject. I recommend it. Now I know one book will not fix my drawing weaknesses, but practice will! My next portrait showed a lot of improvement. That's coming up in the next post. So how do YOU feel about drawing? IN OTHER NEWS: Southern Californians, mark your calendars! ART IN THE PARK NEWPORT BEACH is coming up on Saturday, October 11th. 10-4 on the Civic Green, 100 Civic Center Dr. Over 100 artists including ME! It will be my first year at this event, so I'm really excited! I hope to see you there. AND MORE NEWS! Tomorrow morning I'm headed off to a workshop in Colorado given by Kim English. Waaaahhh HOOOO! Visiting family too, so I won't be posting for a couple of weeks.

9 comments:

  1. Bonjour chère amie,

    Un très joli portrait... Vos couleurs sont très harmonieuses...
    Je suis comme vous, parfois j'ai du mal avec mon dessin !! et lorsque cela arrive, je laisse comme ça et le lendemain immédiatement je vois d'où vient le souci. Très souvent c'est l'affaire d'un tout petit détail !...

    Toutes mes félicitations pour cette future exposition. Je vous souhaite plein de bonnes choses...

    Gros bisous ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. What you said is true. We have "fresh eyes" the next day.

      Delete
  2. This is a lovely work, the blue of the clothing adds a great deal and the skin tones are really good.
    I feel as you do about drawing, I know if it became a habit, my drawing would improve. Thanks for sharing the book,
    looks like a good place to start-I am ordering it today. Have a great trip, will miss your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Fay. Nice to know I'm not alone in this. Let me know how you like the book. Someone mentioned Dawing On Th Right Side Of The Brain by Betty Edwards. I've had that one since the 70's! It's good, but I found Scott's book to be more practical and concise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally relate to you about drawing. I will check out this book. Thanks for sharing. I haven't followed you long but amazed at the talent you have for all subjects! Love this portrait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. I paint a variety of subjects because it keeps me challenged and motivated. It's exciting to paint something I've never painted before. That excitement (love, really) comes through into the painting. At least that's my goal.

      Delete
  5. You draw with your brush so beautifully so I think you are saying you don't enjoy that change of medium to pencil? I have to have the perfect pencil and paper to draw and have fun! haha, I think I just get spoiled sometimes :) The new book looks good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I am really referring to the initial draw-in for a painting. I want the foundation to be accurate before I paint. Especially important for the human form and face. Also important to get perspective right for architectural forms. I want a correct (not tight) drawing to build my painting on. The drawing is the skeleton.

      Delete
    2. So true....I get it. and, it's a good reminder for me.....foundation and structure!

      Delete

No word verification needed. :-)