Thursday, September 11, 2014

Simple Fishing


oil 9x12 inches magnify/purchase The last few days of our trip we camped on the Rogue River at Grants Pass, Oregon. This couple went out each morning from the other side of the river to fish. They would float away downriver and then motor back up again within view. I tried to capture this simple, peaceful little excursion in their small shiny boat. What a nice morning for the blue-shirted lady. I think she was just along for the ride. Once I got the scene drawn in, the boat floated away of course. So I worked on the rest of the scene until they returned again and again never in the exact same position. I had to rely on my memory. It was a fun challenge and forced me to simplify the figures. Does the painting make you want to get in that little boat?

2 comments:

  1. Oh this scene and execution is so nice! tells a story and I love the reflections from the water and boat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mary. I thought of you as I set out to paint it. I have admired all your fishing paintings.

    ReplyDelete

No word verification needed. :-)