Saturday, May 8, 2010

In Process


With this painting, I'm using a more classical realistic approach which I think is well suited to painting old stuff. The books and copper pitcher I picked up recently at an antique mall. Chosen just because they looked old, the books turned out to be quite interesting when I got them home. They are primary grade text books published in 1934, language and math. The young girl who used them did a lot of coloring, and some drawing throughout. This with the wear suggests that perhaps she was the last student to use them. On a back page there is a drawing of planes, bombs and tanks--her world in the early forties?


Here you can see my setup and start. I really like the color scheme and dried flowers. I know the striped drapery will be a challenge, but I like the colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No word verification needed. :-)