Thursday, September 30, 2010

Green Plate Galas SOLD


oil on canvas panel 6x6 inches

More galas. The more I paint the same thing, the happier I am with my brushwork. I tell my watercolor students all the time, "Don't go back, keep going forward." With these apple paintings I'm telling myself to make a stroke and leave it alone. It's the same deal: resisting the urge to "fuss, fuss, fuss" as Carol Marine puts it, or "noodling", overworking...whatever. I think those of us who are detail oriented people (in life) have to work harder at learning to resist the fussing urge when we paint.

5 comments:

  1. Karen this is such a sweet rendition of galas! Love the contrasting palette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this one the most - the colors seem warmer and there's more pizzaz in the contrast

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series of apples. I like the way you brought the background color into the apples. It looks like you painted on a burnt sienna or orange background. Nice paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments! I've been getting questions about my ground, and Claudia, you're close! I used cad red medium. I put it on with very little turp and wipe it off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely apples!! So true what you said about it being so hard not to keep messing with it. I also get caught up in the detail.

    ReplyDelete

No word verification needed. :-)