Saturday, February 23, 2013

Field Study, Newport Back Bay


oil 6x8 inches Yesterday I painted at Newport Backbay for the first time. I arrived with the mindset to paint small and simplify. Also, I wanted to practice atmospheric perspective: a clear indication of distance, mid ground and foreground. Most of this piece I'm happy with, but the foreground is too busy. It's hard for me to judge what a painting really looks like until I get it home and sometimes even the next day, so I left it alone. I know I'll paint it again another day. I had a snack, and did another painting which I'll post next.

3 comments:

  1. Il y a une très belle profondeur dans cette dernière peinture. J'aime le premier plan avec ces beaux verts.
    gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  2. You accomplished your goal beautifully. I do like the foreground because it sets up the distance as being further away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could be this exacting when painting plein air. The values and color saturation seem exactly right to me. Look forward to the next...

    ReplyDelete

No word verification needed. :-)