Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Study After Renoir

 


Study For Discarded Roses  9x12 oil

Purchase info here.

In February I completed a commissioned master copy of Renoir's "Discarded Roses."  The painting pictured here is a small study done in advance of the larger painting, 16x20 (below).  This preliminary study allowed me to work out design and shapes, but most importantly color.  I researched Renoir's palette, which turned out to be quite different from mine.  It included lots of Viridian and Naples Yellow, both of which I generally avoid.  I had to ignore my own color harmony sensibilities.  I took a few subtle liberties with flower shapes. The collector was very happy with the finished painting.  

Discarded Roses After Renoir
oil 16x20
SOLD


No comments:

Post a Comment

No word verification needed. :-)