Friday, July 12, 2019

Demo For Rancho


oil 12x12 inches This was a demonstration I painted from life for Associated Artists of the Inland Empire in Rancho Cucamonga. I was able to complete it mostly within the 1 1/2 hours allotted to me. It's a fresh-looking painting because I had to paint quickly and leave my strokes alone. This is a great exercise for any painter who wants their work to be loose and fresh, not overworked. Give yourself a time limit. Use big brushes and paint faster than you normally would. Keep going forward. Don't go back into an area and mess with it. This brings a memory to mind: I had lunch with a couple of accomplished watercolorists more than a decade ago, and one of them shared a quote I've always remembered: "I want my work to be like fresh sushi, not well-done beef."

No comments:

Post a Comment

No word verification needed. :-)