Friday, January 14, 2011

Plein Air Chino Hills


oil on canvas panel 6x6 inches

This morning I painted on a Chino Hills hillside with my plein air partner, Lisa. Plein air is not my forte (yet...but I'm making progress), so I approach every outdoor session as practice. On this one I practiced getting atmospheric perspective: distance, middle ground and foreground. The grasses in the foreground were problematic. They were almost white--as light in value as the distant snow and sky. I never did solve that problem, but it was a great day. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, a nearby hawk kept an eye on us while flying from tree to tree. Three gnats came home with me stuck in the painting--(upper left). I felt so thankful to be out there painting.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations - wonderful plein air painting. You certainly don't look like a beginner at plein air. The bug has bitten me hard and I love it although I still need lots of practice! Most people don't realize just how difficult it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen I like the way you paint! It's really encouraging to see someone go beyond what's already working. New masteries!!

    ReplyDelete

No word verification needed. :-)