Monday, November 28, 2011

Mona's Pear-sold




















oil on canvas panel 6x6 inches

We visited San Diego over the weekend so I've missed a few days of painting and posting. Got a chance to see some great art in museums, though. This painting was done about a month ago and inspired by Duane Keiser. He had combined a Vermeer with a pear. I used a page from an old desk calendar. While painting I discovered that Mona Lisa has no eyebrows! Weird. Then recently I started reading The Secret Lives of Great Artists by Elizabeth Lunday and found out historians don't know if Da Vinci didn't paint them, multiple restorations lost them, or if the poor girl over-plucked!

7 comments:

  1. Wish I was in San Diego! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. I love this painting Karen! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful painting and what a fun composition! And so informative...Now, I want to go get that book and learn more! Thanks for sharing a fabulous painting and giving me something new to learn! Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen you were so close! I live in San Diego and would have loved meeting you.
    Didn't know that about no eyebrows - fun grouping and composition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun piece Karen, I love how she is looking at the pear, with her unexpressive, non-existant brows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mona's eyes really caught my eye's attention. That was really corny. Love all of the different elements in this piece. The background colors you chose work so nicely with her skin tones.
    I would quit painting for a few days to visit San Diego.

    ReplyDelete

No word verification needed. :-)