Friday, October 15, 2010

Father, Daughter


oil on canvas panel 8x6 inches
not for sale
The pendelum has swung from the silly (yesterday) to the sentimental. My dad was an accomplished sign painter. He could letter beautifully with brush and enamel in any style on "show cards", cars, trucks, boats and billboards...you name it. For the most part, a lost art now. This is one of his mahl sticks, complete with enamel blotches and years of grime from his talented hands. I love to run my hands along the grime. I miss him. When I started college, he took my Grumbacher brushes to his shop and cut the ends off so they would fit in my paint box. The coating is peeling off, so I don't use them, but I've painted them several times now. I kept the composition very simple here to maintain the importance of the objects.

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful painting and heart warming story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your memories, Karen. I loved hearing about your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been enjoying your paintings for some time with daily anticipation. You give us many reasons to remember treasured items in our past. Thank you for giving us a clue about your artistic heritage! Your "portrait" made me miss my father. He too would have cut the ends off my brushes if needed. We are fortunate to have fathers who helped us on our way. You have given inspiration to others, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the painting and love the story. Your dad sounds like quite an interesting guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work Karen. Looking forward to seeing more on the Fresh Paint site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely painting, Karen. I can appreciate the significance these items. I keep a few of my Mom's brushes right along side mine...not to use, just for comfort.

    ReplyDelete

No word verification needed. :-)