Friday, October 22, 2010

Tustin "Storybook House"


oil on canvas panel 9x12 inches
not for sale
It was cloudy skies over Tustin again today. When I started the above painting there was no sunlight except what was diffused through thick clouds. I used colors only from the cool side of my palette. I edited out the hedge because it lacked the organic quality of the rest of the foliage. I started at 11:00 am and took the picture below at 2:30 when I finished, so you can see the sun had started to come out by then. What a charming little "storybook house." Kinda reminds me of pea soup...I could have used some, it was a little chilly! I'd like to come back and paint it again on a sunny day.

9 comments:

  1. It is a storybook house! You did a wonderful job of editing. Your painting could be in a children's book about a little cottage in the woods.

    I really like the way you painted the foliage, lots different rich shades of color and just suggesting the leaves and flowers with your strokes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this house painting! Your interpretation is wonderful and editing out the hedge was a splendid idea. Before I saw the title I thought "What a great storybook house!" Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling cottage. It is out of a storybook. Love the greens in the house and how clean the sky is next to the roof.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done and I like the way you cropped the structure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Karen! Just wanted to let you know you were my favorite artist at the Tustin Art Walk today, and I really enjoyed looking through your blog just now. I love your style and subjects! And thank you for your encouragement today, that there will be a future season for painting! (I'm the girl with lot of little ones at home). You give me hope!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fairly tale house! You really capture it well, great painting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colors really grab me in this one - the greens and pinks combo. An overcast day can make for great color. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen, this is a darling painting and you are right the house is a "Pea Soup" house for sure. Love to see your easel set up and the actual house. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all so much. Plein air is more difficult for me than still life. Your comments really encourage me. Thank you so, so much!

    ReplyDelete

No word verification needed. :-)