Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Aliso Canyon Trail, Chino Hills State Park SOLD




















oil on canvas panel 8x8 inches

Sunday I ventured out to Chino Hills State Park and followed Lower Aliso Canyon trail. I've always loved this trail with it's curve and roll. I've ridden it many times on my mountain bike, and painted it a few. The day was partly cloudy, breezy and beautiful. I had nice chats with bikers, horseback riders, hikers of all ages, and one aggressive bee going after the orange juice on my face...(still enjoying those free oranges!) Below you can see my setup and the scene.



















There were some pretty good gusts of wind, but having ridden it so often on my mountain bike, I knew it could get windy, so I was ready for it. I anchored my umbrella with some Marine parachute chord (that should do it!) and the blue painter's tape you see, then I used a bungee cord to hang my backpack underneath to weigh down my EasyL easel. It worked!

7 comments:

  1. I love seeing your set up and the reference from which you painted the lovely painting. How do you anchor you umbrella? In other words, do you attach it to your easel or tripod or to the ground or what? I have the need to do something like that with the wind at times around here. Just wonderful and so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Denise. The EasyL Umbrella attached to the tripod. To keep it from being a sail that blows over the whole set up, an elastic chord attaches it to the umbrella rod. So the umbrella will fly off, but be tethered to the rod. In my case, I lost my EasyL tether, so I used the parachute chord to attach it to my easel. Both the painters tape and chord keep it in the right position so it won't lean over either way. Hope this makes sense and helps. I saw other plein air painters using painter's tape, and now I carry it all the time. Come's in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does make sense Karen and thanks for that! I also seem to have that problem and will give this a try with my easel. I have an Art Box and Panel but will do something similar. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colors of this scene. It turned out beautiful, wind, bugs, and all. Enjoyed seeing your setup as well. I'm trying to do some plein air...finding it REALLY hard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have painted subject matter all across the board this past week. Love that. Keeps it all fresh. Loved seeing and hearing about your plein air set up. I have the easy L too. And... that you mt bike. Me too. Not often enough lately. We have some great trails close to us. Very dense woods though.
    What's next?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catherine, I agree with you. Plein air is REALLY hard. If I didn't love the outdoors so much I wouldn't bother! I keep trying and I see slow improvement, so that helps. In May I'll take a workshop with Jennifer McChristian on plein air. Can't wait! Need help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen,
    I am not sure how I missed this one but love the painting and thought the set up info and story accompanying it were really fun. I just ordered the EasyL, I hope it will be here Monday! Fun to see your set up and will include painters tape in my backpack. Wonderful painting and good for you!!

    ReplyDelete

No word verification needed. :-)